We’ve a present of time.
My husband and I are each jobless for the primary time because the 1980’s (you are able to do the mathematics). The apparent and logical selection for most individuals can be to hit the pavement and seek for new gainful employment. We’re within the lucky place that we don’t want to fret about younger dependents, learn “youngsters.” We’re additionally fortunate to have very wholesome mother and father.
So why not? What are we ready for? Why are we working? What higher method to have fun by taking some properly deserved day without work than to journey? These have been all utilized in my heavy negotiating section. I’m fortunate sufficient to have a husband who’s prepared to attempt new issues and admittedly “go alongside for the experience.” So the planning started again in June and the record was very lengthy. An important factor was the visa software to permit for an prolonged keep within the nation (something over 90 days requires a visa).
A number of years in the past, I labored in France and nothing has modified, if there may be one factor the French find it irresistible is paperwork. There is no such thing as a higher method to emphasize the nationwide love for forms than a prolonged visa software. The method for an prolonged keep (visa de lengthy séjour) is 15 steps lengthy, and is clearly not for the faint of coronary heart. You’ll want to decide to gathering all the following (and extra) in authentic and photocopy variations; police clearance, finger printing, pictures, insurance coverage, copies of your financial institution stability, guarantees to not work, search unemployment insurance coverage or get sick. Until you’re extremely organized, it’s no small feat to collect the documentation. After getting all of the documentation collectively, you might want to bodily go to Vancouver (or your closest consulate location) for a face-to-face interview, and handy over the paperwork in particular person.
The paperwork for the lengthy keep visa software requires all the following (NOTE: confirm precise necessities as the method is continually flux):
- Passport legitimate at the very least three months after the expiry date of the visa + 1 set of photocopies of the primary pages (picture, validity date, visas…)
- Lengthy Keep visa software type duly stuffed out and signed + 2 current and similar pictures
- Per baby: 1 Lengthy Keep visa software type duly stuffed out and signed + 2 current and similar pictures
- Workplace Francaise de L’immigration et L’integration type accomplished
- Any doc supporting your standing in Canada and permitting your re-entry: Canadian Lengthy Kind beginning certificates, Canadian citizenship card, everlasting resident card (to be photocopied either side), legitimate Canadian visa… + 1 photocopy
- Proof of technique of earnings for your entire size of your keep in France: final three months financial institution assertion exhibiting your title and stability, final Discover of Evaluation (NOA)… + 1 photocopy
- Letter below oath stating to not have interaction in any work + 1 photocopy
- Paperwork supporting your socio-professional standing in Canada: current letter of the employer (with place, file of employment, wage, trip), final three pay stubs, Enterprise Registration if you’re self employed… + 1 photocopy
- RCMP Police clearance + 1 photocopy
- Questionnaire (visa lengthy sejour visiteur) accomplished in French + 1 photocopy
- Proof of residency in France similar to a lease, a title of property, and many others + 1 photocopy.
- Proof of enrolment at a French faculty for youngsters aged 6 to 16.
If the visa is granted:
The journey medical insurance coverage is legitimate for your entire size of your keep in all of the Schengen zone and covers all medical bills similar to drugs, hospitalization, repatriation with a minimal protection of 50,000 CAD + 1 photocopy
We needed to journey to Vancouver to finish our visa course of. That included two return flights and a resort room, to verify we didn’t miss the appointed time. We arrived prematurely of our scheduled appointment. The entry door is imposing and does trigger a second of reflection earlier than you hit the buzzer and stumble by way of your greeting in French. After entry you’re requested handy over your valuable stack of paperwork to a safety guard. In our case, he rifled by way of our paperwork in a really officious method. He eliminated paperclips, staples and rearranged the order. Frankly, after months of painstakingly gathering the paperwork it felt like a violation.
Then we have been requested to attend. The following couple of minutes have been painful as you’re clearly on CCTV they’ve all your most valuable paperwork and at this stage you aren’t in management. We amused ourselves and handed the time by studying a French/English dictionary. We have been referred to as as much as the following window and requested for proof associated to our paperwork, this included:
- Extra pictures
- Extra fingerprints
- The applying payment
With that, we had 30 minutes to get to the financial institution (for up to date statements) and the submit workplace (pay as you go envelope) earlier than the workplace 12:30pm closing time. We made it!
I had determined way back, it took my hubby a little bit of time to catch on, that Jade our black lab would additionally profit from some French meals, and he or she could possibly choose up the odd phrase too. So that is proof of the truth that the French love their pets greater than folks, and definitely greater than vacationers. Jade’s software course of had two steps and doesn’t require a go to to the consular workplace.
Regardless of a little bit of an onerous course of a protracted keep in France is price each ounce of effort. We’re having fun with the meals, the wine, new associates and many new adventures. We’re making the perfect of our “present of time.”